Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Genealogy Humour or not.....

I mentioned the other day that I was working on my family tree. This is an ongoing project that I started about 20 years ago. Yes it is addicting.

Okay here is your chuckle for today. I have spent a wee bit of time (hours) looking for an Anastasia Ryan born about 1870 in Scotland not realizing I had her record since 2018. I twigged yesterday. LOL Take a look.

Anastasia = Hannah-Stacey!!!

 

I guess the poor registrar had never run across that forename before and just winged it. It's a very common name in certain parts of Ireland but not in the Scotland of 1870  it seems:)

Take care and keep safe !




6 comments:

  1. This makes me wonder how many people are lost to history because of a slip in recording. Or mishearing, which perhaps this was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also they didn't read or write so the record taker sort of guessed and then there was the heavy Irish or Scottish brogue to deal with too. It makes the research a real challenge but after awhile you sort of learn a few tricks.

      Delete
  2. Yes I've run into lots of errors in handwriting or incorrect names but the search goes on! But I love that: Hannah Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Prime example of just how names can get changed and why genealogy can be so frustrating (but still fun!).

    ReplyDelete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/