Friday, May 8, 2020

Blogger Issue re email notification.......

A few people recently have mentioned to me that they are not getting emails when someone leaves a comment on their blog. There is one way to fix this although to be honest it does not always work the first couple of times.

This email problem started about 4 or 5 years ago when Blogger did some sort of upgrade or change. It is not an unknown issue and I think it has stopped a lot of people from blogging.

Also, there are some commenters that you will never receive email notification from ever. I have about four followers like this. For this reason I check my blog comments so I don't miss them. This shouldn't happen and I don't know why. Sorry.

This explanation below is simplistic and I am making the assumption that the reader is not familiar with Blogger. I hope no one will take offence. I did it this way as I have written many how to guides for various systems and you cannot make the assumption that your audience knows what you know.

Here goes........

At the top left of your blog's front page you will see a link called "Design". Click on this. It will take you to the back end of Blogger.

On the left hand side there is an option called "Settings". Click on this.



You are now in the settings option area. You will see one called "Email".

Click on that and it will take you to a new area where you can make changes. It asks "Comment Notification email?" You will see a box and in it should be the email that you want your comment notification to go to.
All is good ....maybe....but maybe not.

Remove the email and click "Save settings".

Now reenter the email you wish to use for comment notification. Save settings again.

Repeat the above step again......remove your email......save settings.....input your email....save settings.

I know it doesn't make sense doing it twice or even three times but it is a necessary step.

You should then get an email from noreply+subscribe@blogger.com asking if you wish to subscribe to comment notification.


Click subscribe and you'll be taken to a new screen.....
So in the perfect world the problem should be fixed :)

There is one other step to take just in case.

On the settings sidebar there is an option "Posts, comments and sharing".

Click on this and take a look to see what you have set up. The question is "Who can Comment?.

What you wish to choose is of course up to you but I personally think the best choice is to select "Anyone".  If you restrict it to only users with Google Accounts then there will be some people who will not be able to leave comments ever.

So that's it. Hope this helps.

Take care :)



12 comments:

  1. I've "fixed" this repeatedly and the best blogger has come up over the years with is to notify me AFTER I've moderated, responded etc. To tell me what I just did. I just check frequently instead so nobody feels ignored. There are some mysteries of blogger that remain murky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of the commenters that I don't get email notices about from Blogger. I wonder why?

      Delete
  2. They only show Posts now, as per your last option to fix things. I went through this last year and it still didn't let me know when there were comments. I think they just don't care since it's a free service they give us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's odd as I took these screen shots today. It's what I see. I agree they don't really care to fix the issues.

      Delete
  3. It's hit and miss with my blog whether I receive email notifications. I just don't bother even looking at them and go straight to my blog where I know they all show up. Good information Mary Ann - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your instructions worked for me so I am very grateful. Will keep your instructions in case this happens again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I posted them on here so I can find them again.

      Delete
  5. Hi Mary Ann,
    I really love posts about “how to” do anything on Blogger, although I think my comments are OK at the moment!
    The thing I’d like to know is how to delete people from following one on Bloglovin! I have about 60 of these dubious people following me ..... as if any stitcher is ever going to follow them!!! So actually I think Blogger isn’t too bad as free services go. 😁
    Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at Bloglovin the other day and I clicked on a few of my followers. Most of them seem to be no longer blogging. Apparently at this point in time there is no way to delete unwanted followers. Here's a link.....https://help.bloglovin.com/hc/en-us/articles/360007931853-How-to-block-unwanted-followers-on-Bloglovin-

      Delete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/