Friday, August 21, 2020

When In Doubt Get The Glitter Glue Out.........

As requested, I made two more pairs of "Crocs" for my GD's American Doll. I made another pair awhile ago and two days after there was a mishap. The strap on one shoe came off. No worries. It was easily fixed with Aleene's Original Tacky Glue. BUT.

I wasn't too happy at the time with the idea of using eyelets to attached the straps to the shoe. True enough it looked great sorta but it was really only cosmetic. 

The mishap could have happened because the type of eyelet I was using wasn't correct but as far as I know they were the only type sold over the counter in my area. 

See here is where the strap gave way. The eyelet pulled out because a) it might not be the correct type or b) the foam is too soft and stretchy to hold. Don't know but there were tears...GD's and mine :)

This little eyelet has to go through two layers of the craft foam and hold it together? May be if the shoe is sitting in a drawer and not played with.

I really didn't want to have to repair the new shoes later on so I put the eyelets through just the straps like this and then glued the straps to the shoes.

 Voila!

Looks the same to a 10 year old who really doesn't care about the finer points of shoe making. I did get a wee bit carried away with the glue gun on one of the straps. It left an ugly glob of glue and it bothered me. So annoying.

To hide it I covered the blue shoe with a thin layer of blue glitter glue. Sorry you can't see the glitter clearly in the pic but it turned out really pretty. 

So, the point of all this is that if you are planning to make crocs like these beware the eyelet and maybe buy some glitter glue. 

Take care and keep safe :) 




10 comments:

  1. Crocs - doll sized, who knew? So cool! Sorry about the design dilemmas but you worked through them with a great result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea as well but they have patterns for all kinds of stuff.

      Delete
  2. I love the glitter rescue! And the Crocs. Those dolls are hard on their shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are hard on their shoes. Any excuse to get new ones :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh those are so adorable! Sorry things went wrong (as they often will) but it sounds like you have things figured out. As long as your GD is happy that's the best thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I've made three pair I never want to make any ever again LOL Til the next time:)

      Delete
  4. I would never be seen in adult size crocs but these tiny ones are so cute and glitter covers a lot of mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a purple pair that I wear in the garden but they are not that comfortable. Glitter glue is a very valuable tool when you make dolls....fairy wings...mermaid fins and such:)

      Delete
  5. Hi Mary Anne wow these crocs are awesome ,you are very clever my friend ,well done xx

    ReplyDelete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/