Friday, May 29, 2020

May The Force Be With You.......

I made a Millennium Falcon for my grandson using the free pattern from Wild Olive.

I didn't have the same shade of grey tan felt that was suggested and since Michael's was not open I had to use what I had. I took a look at some pics online of the MF and it's all shades as is my version so I think I'm okay :)

I actually have a lot of grey felt from my mouse making days but the pieces are scraps basically. I did manage to squeak out the shape short of 1/8 of an inch on the length which was so lucky.  Whew!!

Mollie at Wild Olive used Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy for the embroidery template. I have none so plan B.

I used a piece of printer paper and taped on some tissue paper. I pulled one edge of the tissue over the edge and taped it down as this is the leading edge. I didn't want to jam the printer.

 

Then I got an inspiration. I ironed a piece of tissue paper to some freezer paper. It worked too.


I started the embroidery from the center and worked out from there. I used 3 strands of embroidery floss but I would rather have used perle cotton but I had none in grey. Since added to my future to buy list.

Here is my pattern pinned to the felt shape. 


However when I went to put the pieces together I soon discovered that the felt I was using was a bit too soft. It's 100% wool felt. I think what would be best is the acrylic felt that you can buy for kids crafts. Much firmer and the edge will stay and not "fray" for want of a better description. I decided the best thing to do was line the felt using some cotton I had. I zig zagged the edge in grey thread. I rationalized that it looks like riveting...wink wink :)


I originally trimmed the fabric to a 1/4 seam allowance all around. Then I decided..... after my first attempt to sew the bits together...to trim off the fabric right to the edge of the felt. 

Done!!

I think my version looks a bit clunky compared to the one made by Mollie at Wild Olive because I used a blanket stitch instead of a whip stitch. I can guarantee it will not come apart when played with. It's one of those squishy type of things that's just made to be thrown around.

I glued on the gun turrets and the cockpit at first then decided to sew them on as well. The camera certainly shows up all it's faults...oh well.  I really enjoyed making it as it was something different.

Now I've been asked to make another Millennium Falcon and to make a TIE Fighter.....hmm.

Take care and keep safe :)

7 comments:

  1. How fun! I think you did marvelously!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the only person I know who refers to her mouse making days! And appropriate that you then squeaked out enough fabric for the project! Of course the reward for a successful enterprise (!) is to be asked for more! It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I am NOT however showing this to my oldest grandson because I know what would happen. Heck, I'm not showing it to my sons either!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my grandson's father has designs on it as he's the one that wants the TIE Fighter.

      Delete
    2. The first baby Yoda I made was requested on behalf of our 3 year old grandson and I knew full well it wasn't for him at all because he'd never even SEEN the show! So now their household has two - the larger one for Daddy and the smaller for 'grand'. Win/win! As I said I will not be showing any of my family your project though!

      Delete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/