Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Hello I'm still here with a long story and a happy ending...hopefully:)

I don't normally post about personal stuff because it isn't really my thing but something a family member just said to me and her reaction made me think.

Last July for various and sundry reasons I had a hysterectomy and my ovaries removed....not to worry all is well. While it was first stage cancer it was insitu as they say.

Sadly my own family doctor passed away very suddenly within days of my surgery so I was left high and dry. Now I had to look for a new family doctor which is not really that fun to do.

I had no real immediate health issues but I do have medication that I need to take. I figured since I had a few months worth left finding a doctor wasn't such a pressing issue.

Then...horror of horrors. Within a few months of my hysterectomy surgery some lumps I had in my right breast seemed to be getting bigger. I've had these lumps for quite a few years and I had never done anything about them. What's that word?.....oh ya...... procrastination...or it can't happen to me syndrome. I was beginning to think that maybe I was loosing it and that I was imagining that they were getting rather large....eeek.

Now the issue to get a new doctor was pressing...I did... and he's very thorough...sent me for tons of tests..... and of course he sent me for a mammogram.

Lucky me. My imagination wasn't playing games with my head. I had two lumps. I was called back for an ultra sound. They were still there :)

I was then sent to the Breast Cancer Clinic at North York General Hospital for referral. Yet another ultra sound.  I then met with this very me anyway LOL.... General Surgeon and Oncologist to give me his opinion.

He wanted to do a needle biopsy and because I was his last patient for the day he decided to do the procedure then and there rather that have me come back again. I was given a needle injection for local pain. I was told the freezing would last for ten minutes and that I might have some pain from the procedure.

The needle biopsy was probably the strangest test I have ever had done. The sound and sensation was a bit off putting. Think about someone banging down on the back of a stapler to make it work....Jeez Louise.  The doctor was impressed at my calmness but I figure why freak out when it's something that has to be done.

I might add that despite the fact that they said there would be pain it was nothing. I had an ice bag and it only hurt for about five or ten minutes. The bruise though was gigantic and very very colourful,

So my results came back and I had what is known as Atypical Papillary Lesions. Not so bad. They could stay as they weren't cancerous. But.... he wanted to take them out and of course do a second more thorough biopsy.

So yesterday I went into hospital at 7:00 a.m. and after sitting around for what seemed like endless hours I had a Lumpectomy and finally after 2 1/2 hours of recovery arrived home about 5:15 totally shattered.

The aftermath has been relativity painless. I took an extra strength Tylenol before bed and today nothing.  The only lasting annoyance is a sore throat from the breathing tube they insert during surgery.

So the bottom line of this very long recitation is the moral of the story I guess.

I will never put off until tomorrow what I should do today regarding my health or something along those lines. I'm sure I'll think of something more pithy but whatever.

My whole attitude was rather stupid. I'm relatively healthy for my age and I figured nothing serious would happen to me regarding the big C. Well that was wrong.

Be proactive about your own health care. Go and get a Pap Smear done and, go and get a Mammogram done. 

I've had some near misses and have been very lucky. So now I wait to see what the final biopsy will find. Fingers and toes crossed.

Take care:) 


  1. Oh my goodness - so sorry you have been going through all this. I know posting about something so private and personal has to have been difficult, but if it means that it encourages those of us who read your blog to go and get the tests, it will have been so worth it. I am in a breast screening program here - not because I have any real issues (beyond a non-cancerous lump I had removed years ago) but because my breasts are very dense and it's very difficult to feel any lumps. It only takes a few minutes and definitely a good way to be pro-active about health. Take care of you my friend....thoughts are with you.

  2. Wow. Those are some BIG events! I'm glad you are okay, but you can't goof around with your health anymore. Especially when you have others who rely on you.

    Please add to the list, a colonoscopy. Don't mess around and put off necessary tests and treatment. It isn't worth it. We need you here.

    I had a hysterectomy years ago and I have never felt better. I wish the same for you.

  3. Oh my is right! I'm sorry that you had to have all those tests and to look for another doctor. I've had my family practice doctor for 34 years....can't imagine looking for another. I'm glad you're all right and was glad to read the happy ending. Procrastination isn't a good thing. I too am guilty and need to make some appointments.

  4. With all that you are going through I bet the waiting is the worst. I know it was for me. We can handle a lot as long as we know what is going on. Hurry up and wait drives me crazy.

    Hope your test results turn out good and that you are found to be healthy.

  5. Wise advice. So glad though that all seems to be well for you. Sending best wishes and hugs. xx

  6. Glad to hear all is well. :)

  7. Glad all is well, its been a windy path but seems like you've stayed the path and I hope you go from strength to strength : )

  8. Thank you for sharing your story. It's a great reminder to all of us who sometimes put our own health on the back burner while we care for others or simply procrastinate because "it couldn't happen to us". I'll keep everything crossed, that I can cross, in hopes that the biopsy is good.

  9. A great reminder to be proactive especially when it comes to ones health and thank you for sharing your story. I never used to go to the Dr. but after a lump appeared I dragged myself into one. Had the whole shebang: surgery, chemo, radiation & come August of this year I'll be 10 years cancer free. I go diligently now to all appointments & tests and also advocate being proactive where ones health is concerned. Take good care of yourself.

  10. First of all, I am so very glad that you are OK Mary Ann, what a scary thing to go through but hoping all's well that ends well! Sending healing energy for a full and quick recovery. And secondly, you are not alone in the procrastination, stick my head in the sand approach to personal health care (if that's any consolation!), I am certainly guilty of that as well. Thanks for the reminder to take care of ourselves and stay well my friend, Deb xo

  11. How did I miss this post! I have been thinking about you so often. You just pop in my mind at the strangest times. My motto is that a thought is a prayer so I guess I have been praying for you and didn't know why. I know that you have posted newer information so I'll go see it. It is good that you posted about this. You really should add tags so anyone searching for information will be lead here for support.
    xx, Carol

  12. Glad to hear everything is well :)


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. I don't know why this happens and I apologize in advance as I love to hear from you:)