Saturday, November 9, 2013

WIP......

I bought myself a new book in April called Allie Allers Crazy Quilting. I've looked at it several times trying to get motivated to finally try crazy quilting......ho hum.

I looked at it again yesterday. It wasn't a very nice day weather wise and I was at a loss as to what to do with myself.  I flipped through the book, as one does, and decided to try one of the smaller projects in the book....Crazy Quilt Soft Doll - The Dreaming Maiden.

Amazon
I dutifully followed all of the instructions...well some of them:) The main bits anyway. But, then I went off on my own tangent when it came to the face and hair. I started out with the original plan but then I decided her hair was way too big so I picked it all out and started again. I realize that part of the big hair will be turned under when it's appliqued onto a background but I'll figure that out later:) Also, I was originally using embroidery thread and then switched to a chenille type yarn.

The face is embroidered so that was a challenge on such a tiny face.....approximately 1 1/8 inches. The mouth in particular... so tiny....done in satin stitch.

This is my piece so far...after much picking out and a few swear words.



I've learned a lot so far and will use what I've learned the next time I do this. There will be a next time as this is really lots of fun.

One thing is that I'd do the face as a separate piece from the neck. I think it would be more visually appealing.

The crazy quilting comes in when I make the bodice and the skirt. I have lots of small pieces of  fabric to choose from so really I just have to decide on a colour scheme.


The hardest part for me will be the embellishing I think. I'm going to have to hone up on my embroidery stitches. I 've been looking through Pinterest to get some ideas and I set up a board for crazy quilting.....http://www.pinterest.com/mytategallery/crazy-quilting/....to gather ideas for future projects. There are some very talented needlework artists out there.

Take care:)

4 comments:

  1. It is really a lovely piece Maryann!
    Makes mw want to try it!
    hugs Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that book, but I have yet to try any of the projects. Looks like you're having fun with this and I'm anxious to see it develop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of crazy quilting too, but have never been brave enough to try it. Your maiden is indeed dreamy already. Can't wait to see her get some crazy clothes :)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is lovely Mary Ann, what a beautiful face. Can't wait to see her completed, you are a brave woman taking on crazy quilting! Deb

    ReplyDelete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/