Thursday, February 24, 2011

100 Happy Days Challenge......day 18

Well I missed it.......The Great Backyard Bird Count. I just saw something about it on this blog......365 Cat Ladies and Friends.

I found this blog as I usually do......being nosy:)  I love her cat art....and her bunnies. Go take a look.

I do have some birds to show though.......we live in an area with mature trees and ravines and so we get lots of wild life and birds in our backyard.

Here is one of our regular visitors. In this picture he was just a very young bird. The pine tree is right beside our back deck. Isn't he wonderful? (click on the pic to see it larger)


 Photo by Sean Tate

He's a Peregrine Falcon and he's around most of the year. They were endangered at one point but after being introduced back into our area they have made a bit of a comeback. Strangely enough they live mainly on the high rise buildings in downtown Toronto. I wonder where this gent lives? Anyway, he is very partial to the Mourning Doves that also visit our garden.

We also get Cardinals, Blue Jays, Sparrows, Grackles, Cow Birds, Crows, Chickadees ......lots of birds that we enjoy watching.

We also get birds that visit during migration. Here is a picture of a Baltimore Oriole. They usually visit for a couple of days in August when out Trumpet Vine is in full flower. They attack the trumpets to drink the nectar that is in the base of the flower.

And, we get hummingbirds.

Those two pictures are scans of photos my son Sean took:)

There were Chickadees at our feeder this morning. I think they are my favorite bird to watch.

Take care:)

2 comments:

  1. I love bird pictures! Never get tired of these visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi Mary Ann, I just popped over to say a big thankyou for starting off my Giveaway (I always worry what happens if no one enters?) and for following my blog.

    I visited London Ontario in my teens (many many moons ago!) as I had a Canadian boyfriend- it was lovely...probably more so than him!!

    Hope to chat again
    xx

    ReplyDelete


If you leave a comment and I don't respond it's because I didn't get an email notice. It could be because you are a "no reply" blogger. Here is a way to fix that......http://morefromyourblog.com/no-reply-blogger-how-to-fix-this/