Friday, March 25, 2011

Quilting?...............

I am not a quilter. I follow various quilting blogs in my efforts to glean little pearls of wisdom about quilting but many times I come away more confused.

I haven't quite cracked it.......haven't walked across that magic threshold of quilterdom......haven't passed into the hallowed halls of fat quarters, cake thingys, charms, and jelly rolls.

What I really need I guess is a good quilting book but I know myself too well. I would look at the pretty pictures and not learn much. I'm one of those people that need to see how things are done visually......and hands on. Once I do, I'm all set and away I go.

So when I find a little gem of a video like the following I have one of those AHA moments:)



I didn't know what a Y-seam was or a Tumbling Block but now I do.

As I watched and learned, I also had an epiphany. I realized I don't want to be a quilter. I think it's possibly too structured for me and that's why I have never really put my heart into it fully. I enjoy looking at it, watching it being made, seeing the end product and marveling at the talent of the many amazing quilters out there. But, I don't want to do it myself. Ah well.

Take care:)

3 comments:

Lin said...

Oh, no, don't be discouraged!! What she is doing is one of the more complicated blocks--this is an advanced lesson. Quilting is actually very easy, but I usually advise a hands-on class because there are many tricks that make quilting easier.

Here are a few:

-seam allowances are 1/4 in quilting
-always press the seams to one side--towards the dark fabric
-pin, pin, pin

I LOVE to quilt. In fact, it is one of the best things that I have ever learned to do--it is very rewarding.

Do you have a place nearby where you can take a class??

Cre8tiv Glory said...

Hi Mary Ann,

I am the same way about quilting. I love quilts and have actually made a few very uncomplicated ones on my sewing machine but I get so confused by all the geometrics and patterns that my brain tends to glaze over. Both of my great grandmothers made beautiful quilts by hand out of scraps, flour sacks and old worn out cloths. They weren't valued at the time the way they are now. When I was very small I remember my dad throwing one of those quilts on the garage floor under the car when he was changing the oil. My heart breaks now when ever I think of that. There was one quilt left that I used to curl up in on Saturday mornings to watch cartoons. It still had the cotton seeds in it and being a typical little kid I used to pick them out and leave them on the living room floor. My mother would have a fit because she had to vacuum (I can't spell vacuum)the little cotton balls up and eventually the last quilt was thrown away.

Linens and Royals said...

I would try quilting if I could just get past my cross stitch addiction. I have a collection of pretty cat fabrics I must use one day.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...